01 December 2009

Advent Calendar

I have mentioned that I had a suprise for the husband this Christmas, this advent calendar is it. The idea was inspired by a few sources, one of them was Maya of maya*made, I saw an advent calendar that used toilet paper rolls on her blog last year and I liked the idea of repurposing something that normally is thrown away. I have been saving the rolls for the last couple of months, sometimes forgetting to stash them. I only had 12 rolls saved when I started the project, so I supplemented by making paper "envelopes" of different shapes, trees, snowflakes, gift boxes, even a snowman, all from paper that was headed to the recycling bin. The insides of each day's container holds either a present or a clue to find the present. Some of the items cost money, others are more of the "thoughtful" type of gift. Some are practical items, others are a special treat or something that the husband has mentioned in passing over the past few months. It took quite a bit of work to plan and assemble the calendar, but I enjoyed it completely. It has actually been hanging in the arched entry to our rec room since the evening before Thanksgiving because I was so excited to have it ready to go. I can already see myself making an annual tradition out of this, though I might try to get an earlier start in the future. The husband has been reading the blog a bit lately, so I can't get into too much more detail about the calendar, but perhaps I'll get to share a bit as the 24 days before Christmas pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails