I saw some lovely live garland being sold at Costco recently. It was made out of Western Red Cedar and was 15' long (if I remember correctly). It was also around $16...
So this past Thursday, I decided to try to make one myself...
The husband was recruited to help with the first part of the project, collecting the branches. We went out into the woods on our property and found a part of a cedar tree that had been damaged and was growing at an odd angle.
The growth of this part of the tree was inhibiting other healthier trees nearby, so it was the perfect candidate to receive a good pruning.
Gratuitous pet shot of Bambino, he likes going out in the woods with us, he runs around and plays the whole time. I was able to catch him in a split second of stillness.
Back to the house we went, branches in hand...I was carrying a good amount as well.
That was a very cold but very pretty morning...
Later on in the afternoon, I began the task of assembling the garland. I already had the florist wire and wire cutters on hand, left over from a project that I had done many moons ago.
The garland came together much, much quicker than I predicted. The key was to cut a bunch of wire pieces and a bunch of cedar boughs ahead of time. I did get a little bit of a rash on my hands from the tree's oils and it was pretty chilly outside, even in the sunshine, but it was worth it. (The rash went away after a couple of hours and a couple of hand washings.)
I love the finished product, I can't believe how easy it was and how great it turned out. The husband put a couple of small hooks in the top of the door fram for me to hand the garland from. Once it was hung I did go back and add to the garland in a few places to fill it out and give it a richer look. I ended up making a second garland right after this one for our neighbors. We owe them a debt of gratitude because Berkeley (our rooster) has been recooperating with them (long story that I'll try to remember to share another time). I've gone back and forth with the idea of adding ribbon to my garland or hanging some of our extra glass bulb ornaments on the it. I may still do so, but then I may just leave it as it is...I do kind of like the "natural" look. This is the first time I've every done anything more in the way of outdoor Christmas decorating besides hanging a wreath on the door...it was fun. Of course it is very satisfying to know that I did it all essentially for free, my only costs were some wire that I already had and time in. I'm planning to make one or two more of these garlands for inside the house...if I actually follow through on that plan, there will be pictures shared. I'm finding this whole "handmade holiday" thing to be more fun than I would have predicted.
So this past Thursday, I decided to try to make one myself...
I love the finished product, I can't believe how easy it was and how great it turned out. The husband put a couple of small hooks in the top of the door fram for me to hand the garland from. Once it was hung I did go back and add to the garland in a few places to fill it out and give it a richer look. I ended up making a second garland right after this one for our neighbors. We owe them a debt of gratitude because Berkeley (our rooster) has been recooperating with them (long story that I'll try to remember to share another time). I've gone back and forth with the idea of adding ribbon to my garland or hanging some of our extra glass bulb ornaments on the it. I may still do so, but then I may just leave it as it is...I do kind of like the "natural" look. This is the first time I've every done anything more in the way of outdoor Christmas decorating besides hanging a wreath on the door...it was fun. Of course it is very satisfying to know that I did it all essentially for free, my only costs were some wire that I already had and time in. I'm planning to make one or two more of these garlands for inside the house...if I actually follow through on that plan, there will be pictures shared. I'm finding this whole "handmade holiday" thing to be more fun than I would have predicted.I hope your holiday decorating and celebrating is as satisfying as mine! Cheers!




No comments:
Post a Comment