While in Egypt, the husband and I took a day trip from Cairo to the coast to visit the city of Alexandria. The temperature there was much cooler, although it was extremely humid, a very sticky kind of day. In addition to having a great meal on the water, we also got to visit the Catacombs that are there. We were not allowed to take any pictures, but in the end the guards allowed us to take pictures of the outside...I guess anything is possible in Egypt if you are willing to tip. The inside was actually amazing, while we walked through, I felt like I was on the set of an Indiana Jones movie, it was pretty surreal. The catacombs remained undiscovered for many centuries until one day a donkey fell into a hole in the ground, about a hundred feet down. The poor beast actually fell right onto an alter that had been used for animal sacrifices made by families of the dead when they were placed into the tombs of the Catacombs...kind of ironic when you think about it. The whole thing had a very eerie dungeon quality to it...we stood in the place where people had feasted for days to celebrate the lives of passed family members. Alexandria is truly a place where the culture of the ancient Romans overlapped that of ancient Egypt, the dead of both civilizations was found in the Catacombs.
I thought this particularly appropriate to share on the creepiest day of the year. Tonight the husband and I are going to stay in for a cozy dinner and a couple of horror flicks we rented specifically for a quiet Halloween date night. We have a fantastic speaker system in the room where we watch movies, it's best for watching scary films in the dark, all of the sound effects put into a scary movie are that much scarier when put in surround sound. Horror isn't usually my favorite genre, but for Halloween nothing else will do!
Happy Halloween to you!




No comments:
Post a Comment