As I prepared dinner the day that I'd dropped the husband off at the airport, I realized a couple of things...First, I eat waaaay differently when I'm by myself, I'm sure that's true for most folks, when cooking for one, you only have to think about what you want without any compromise. Second, I realized that presentation, arrangement and aesthetic have become more important to me now that I cook for someone else regularly. When I was single, I rarely thought about the way my food looked on a plate, or how it was going to be served from a dish. Now thinking of those things is second nature.
That first night, I found myself putting slices of cucumber and tomatoes just so around a plate, leaving room for some deep purple grapes and cheese to go around a chunk of toasted french baguette...by the time I was done, I was actually kind of impressed with how it looked, the arrangement actually made it more appetizing. To drink, I had a glass of stale Syrah...not bad considering. I am sorry I do not have a picture of that dinner, I took one but messed up and deleted it on my phone as I was supposed to be sending it to my email...oops! But I do have pictures of the subsequent meals for one that I have enjoyed this past week:
Ingredients for this salad included: Baby Spinach, Sliced Black Olives, Garbanzo Beans, Shredded Parmesean Cheese, Mandarin Oranges, Fresh Avocado, Toasted Pine Nuts and a Spicy Peanut Dressing on the side.Thursday Night:
I Don't Really Feel Good or Feel Like Cooking Dinner of
Instant Chinese Noodle Soup with added Basil and Shrimp, An Assortment of Rice Crackers and Mineral Water

I actually didn't get through this whole bowl of soup, I was a little heavy on the shrimp, but the rice crackers were pretty yummy.

This was a night of my eyes being bigger than my stomach...Bambino ended up polishing off left-over everything but the green beans, those for some reason I finished completely...
So as I get ready to publish this post, I am thinking of what I am going to eat tonight. It's already 8:30, kind of late to just be starting to think of this, but I've been sewing all afternoon. Also, I think I've realized that when I'm alone I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, worrying that I'm just about to get sick. I've taken my own temperature about 18 times in the last three days. I swear I feel a soreness coming on in my throat, and today I felt the need to nap for two hours. This kind of behavior is getting in the way of a normal eating schedule today...maybe I'll just make some pumpkin bread and call it good. I saw a yummy looking recipe that I think I have all of the ingredients for...




No comments:
Post a Comment