There is something cute about this rhinoceros' back side...05 April 2010
SD Zoo
One of my favorite days of our Spring Break Theme Park Madness tour was spent visitng the animals at the San Diego Zoo. I felt a very childlike thrill seeing all of the animals. Some were funny, some were weird, some were quite stoic, some fascinated me, and some were just touching to watch.
It really is worth the visit, the efforts the zoo is making to conserve not just animals but plant life as well, are pretty impressive.
I tried to picture this gazelle hopping through our yard like an ordinary deer...wouldn't that be a sight!
Maybe it is the fact that they have received so much attention lately because of the affect global warming has had on their numbers...
...or maybe it was how familiar their movements and gestures were - so many things they did as I watched them reminded me of Bambino and Figaro...
...what ever it was, the Polar Bears were amazing to watch, I could have spent the whole day looking at them.
The last time I saw a flamingo in person I was much younger...
...I'd forgotton what a bright color some of them are, and how cool they look when they balance on one leg, or when they bobb their heads in the water and then have to straighten out their necks to swallow water.
After watching a couple of seasons of the dramatic show, Meercat Manor, it made sense that this little creature would take a dramatic bow.
She did this a couple of times while we watched her...drama queen!
These guys are big...really big. It would seem to me that they would swim slowly, but that's not what the sign said. I wouldn't want to be in the water with one.
This monkey made me kind of sad, he looks lonely. I wonder if he would have been flying around and playing if I'd seen him in the morning rather than in the heat of the afternoon...I hope so.
As I took this picture, I wasn't the only one who noticed that one mandril was picking bugs off of another mandril's posterior...I heard kids laughing and adults chuckling. I think somethings are funny no matter what age you are.
This baby was born in January, making her about 3 months old. A giraffe's gestational period is about 460 days...yikes!
I'm taller than average, always have been. When I was a kid, there were other kids that used to try to make fun of my height by calling me a giraffe. Kids try to be mean in the strangest ways. Even then I couldn't figure out how it was an insult, I've always thought giraffes were beautiful animals.
There is something very serene and relaxed in the way this baby giraffe is sitting...she seems to have figured it all out.
There is something cute about this rhinoceros' back side...
There is something cute about this rhinoceros' back side...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




What a neat zoo to be able to go to. I think that no matter how old I get I will always Love zoos. Love your pics
ReplyDelete