I also spotted what appeared to be a volunteer pumpkin - perhaps from one of the seeds that was sown last year which never germinated? I'm not positive that it is a pumpkin, just a guess right now, time will tell I suppose. There's something pretty special about volunteer seedlings...they only happen if a garden has been in a location before...because I broke ground on our vegetable garden just last year so volunteer seedlings are new to me this year.
Below is one of my russet potato vines, coming nicely along. Potatoes are new to me this year too - I planted them in hills. The black char pieces are ash from one of our winter burn piles. I've read that the carbon in the ash is supposed to be great for plants.
Today the little hens spent some time in their run grazing and scratching in the grass. Worms and bugs were found and devoured, grass was nibbled on, and they got a bit of vitamin D from the sunshine. They are still a bit on the small side and can squeeze through the wire on the run -kind of scary when Figaro is hanging around. So for now their time in the run is supervised.
They didn't mind though, they love being outside and having a change of scenery.
Bambino is interested in being in charge of the chickens...he helped round them up today when it was time to put them back up in their coop...nice for me because that way I didn't have to get on my hands inside the run where they'd been pooping for the last hour.
He is learning to move them the way that I want him to. He barks a bit to get them to move and gives their tail feathers a little nip if they don't cooperate. He was very proud to help me, he got lots of good boys and extra petting. His instincts are sharp with the chickens, it's actually a pretty amazing thing to see.

Today the little hens spent some time in their run grazing and scratching in the grass. Worms and bugs were found and devoured, grass was nibbled on, and they got a bit of vitamin D from the sunshine. They are still a bit on the small side and can squeeze through the wire on the run -kind of scary when Figaro is hanging around. So for now their time in the run is supervised.
They didn't mind though, they love being outside and having a change of scenery.
Bambino is interested in being in charge of the chickens...he helped round them up today when it was time to put them back up in their coop...nice for me because that way I didn't have to get on my hands inside the run where they'd been pooping for the last hour.
He is learning to move them the way that I want him to. He barks a bit to get them to move and gives their tail feathers a little nip if they don't cooperate. He was very proud to help me, he got lots of good boys and extra petting. His instincts are sharp with the chickens, it's actually a pretty amazing thing to see.
Yesterday was his first birthday...we sang to him (with some dramatic dog-like howls added in.) His main birthday present was a frisbee, but he also got a new food and water bowl set.




No comments:
Post a Comment