It's has been a gorgeous weekend so far...temperatures in the 60's and 70's - definately a treat for me!
I noticed this little tomato on one of my Roma plants yesterday when I was out watering the garden. It's the first one I have so of course I'm thrilled. I tried to grow tomatoes last year without any luck whatsoever. This year I've started a few plants from seed - they are all very small still, but I also have picked up started plants over the past month. I think my success so far is due in part to going with the starts and also because of the tomato dome they are planted in - it is consistently warm and humid in it, the plants are loving it! If I get a decent tomato harvest this summer, my plan is to of course eat plenty of them, make salsa with some, and use some to can my own marinara sauce. Funny how exciting this is to me!
I put a hundred Walla-Walla onion starts in the ground about a month ago. They too are coming along nicely.
Also fun was finding that the radishes I planted are getting ready to pick. Remember that I tried salt as a solution to the worms that like to get into the radishes - my radishes last year were inedible because of the tiny worms that got to them before I could. Well, the salt trick works, here's a picture of when I planted the radishes:
And here is one of those radishes in the ground yesterday...gorgeous and worm free!
They are beautiful! I can't say I've ever enjoyed radishes as much as these.
The strawberries are also coming along nicely. We should have some ripe and ready to pick in about a month. When we transplanted them to a raised bed, the husband nailed down a strip of copper tape around the rim of that bed to keep slugs out. They won't cross the copper because it reacts with their skin...a nice organic way to keep out those strawberry munchers!
In the green house things are going well...below are the two pepper plants I picked up a week ago. They like the heat in there. I am considering transplanting them to larger containers but leaving them in the green house. I have a few extra tomato cages I can use to support them, and if I move a few things around in the greenhouse I'll have plenty of space...at least until July this should keep the peppers warm enough. Although it is nice outside today, what I remember of June last year was that it was cold, rainy, and even snowed one day...not good weather for peppers that need a warm climate to do well.
A couple of weeks ago I burnt the starts I had going in the greenhouse. Included in the casualties were mostly zucchini, cucumbers, and butternut squash. Since then I have re-started some seedlings. Things are going well, I'll wait another few days, maybe a week, and then transplant what I can outside.
Now that the chicks are hanging outside all of the time in their run, I have been feeling kind of nostalgic about them. They grew so quickly in the month or so since I brought them home...it's hard to believe how tiny they started off!
They're obviously so much bigger now, but they still like bunching up together in a corner.
This flower popped up this morning in the window bed in the front of the house...I am not sure what it is, probably something I planted a year ago that didn't come up last summer because I got it into the ground too late - that happened in a few places, but I like it whatever it is.

I put a hundred Walla-Walla onion starts in the ground about a month ago. They too are coming along nicely.
Also fun was finding that the radishes I planted are getting ready to pick. Remember that I tried salt as a solution to the worms that like to get into the radishes - my radishes last year were inedible because of the tiny worms that got to them before I could. Well, the salt trick works, here's a picture of when I planted the radishes:
And here is one of those radishes in the ground yesterday...gorgeous and worm free!
They are beautiful! I can't say I've ever enjoyed radishes as much as these.
The strawberries are also coming along nicely. We should have some ripe and ready to pick in about a month. When we transplanted them to a raised bed, the husband nailed down a strip of copper tape around the rim of that bed to keep slugs out. They won't cross the copper because it reacts with their skin...a nice organic way to keep out those strawberry munchers!
In the green house things are going well...below are the two pepper plants I picked up a week ago. They like the heat in there. I am considering transplanting them to larger containers but leaving them in the green house. I have a few extra tomato cages I can use to support them, and if I move a few things around in the greenhouse I'll have plenty of space...at least until July this should keep the peppers warm enough. Although it is nice outside today, what I remember of June last year was that it was cold, rainy, and even snowed one day...not good weather for peppers that need a warm climate to do well.
A couple of weeks ago I burnt the starts I had going in the greenhouse. Included in the casualties were mostly zucchini, cucumbers, and butternut squash. Since then I have re-started some seedlings. Things are going well, I'll wait another few days, maybe a week, and then transplant what I can outside.
Now that the chicks are hanging outside all of the time in their run, I have been feeling kind of nostalgic about them. They grew so quickly in the month or so since I brought them home...it's hard to believe how tiny they started off!
They're obviously so much bigger now, but they still like bunching up together in a corner.
This flower popped up this morning in the window bed in the front of the house...I am not sure what it is, probably something I planted a year ago that didn't come up last summer because I got it into the ground too late - that happened in a few places, but I like it whatever it is.




No comments:
Post a Comment