21 May 2009

50th Post! Dirt Bath Thursday and Other Random Bits

I made it to my 50th post! Definately a cool accomplishment. I have looked forward to blogging, I like how it makes me think about what I've accomplished and what I still want to do. For today though I don't have any one specific subject to write about, instead here are a few random photos to share...

Lately Figaro has been especially happy in the garden. Now with the fence and gate up, he doesn't have to worry about Bambino or the neighbor dog, Otter, coming in anymore. He's been following me around and being very cute. We are house-sitting for our neighbor for a few days, taking care of their animals. This is their tom turkey...he loves to puff up and do his gobble noise.I put some zucchini starts into the ground today. I started them in the greenhouse about two weeks ago.
The patch of ground below was the location of a burn pile last winter. I put a layer of topsoil over the ash and planted sunflowers here...as you can see they are coming in nicely. My hope is to have my own little version of Tuscany later this summer.
I transfered my three pepper plants into larger containers. As they get bigger I'll give them cages for support.
I've noticed that lately the chicks have been scratching in their run pretty aggressivly, trying to get past the grass to the dirt.
So I thought I'd help them out a bit. I put a couple shovels of dirt into their run. There were some ants and worms in the dirt, so the ladies went nuts almost right away when they saw the dirt, pecking to get the little treats.Next came the dirt baths...that pile of dirt was like a hot tub in a ski lodge at the end of a long day...packed out! The ladies were all rolling and wiggling in the dirt. I think they like to get it under their feathers because they all puffed up as they shimmied in the dust. It was hard to take a picture because they were all kicking and flapping so quickly - almost every picture came out blurry...I like this little hen, she's in the reclined position.
The last thing today is that I've finished my giveaway day items...all ready for next Wednesday the 27th! I'm actually considering doing a second giveaway...we'll see if I get around to it this weekend. Hope your week is ending well and that you're looking forward to the holiday weekend as much as I am! Here's to another 50 posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails