14 May 2009

A Few Good Food Books...

I thought that today I'd share what books are inspiring me in the kitchen lately...
The first is my newest cook book:
Jeanne Kelley cooks the types of foods I like to eat: fresh, simple, and full of flavor. The book itself is beautiful to look at, it is currently on display in my kitchen. Seeing it makes me happy, it also inspires me to walk out to the garden more often than not to collect fresh herbs to add to what ever I'm making for dinner, and to pick fresh lettuce and spinach for salads. I have used her recipe for Asian Slaw for my "Soup Group" at work. (The soup group is about 20 people who take turns making big pots of soup to share on Fridays and then when the weather warms up we switch to salads - it is something I am going to miss dearly since I won't be working there much longer.) Tonight I am using her recipe for pizza dough to make calzones...I used it once a couple of weeks ago for pizza night with the husband and he gave it high approval ratings. That is significant because he is quite the pizza connoisseur and has pronounced other pizza dough recipes I've used in the past as not up to snuff. This is also my current go-to book for inspiration for new meals - this weekend I am going to try the Morracan Chicken Skewers for a dinner with our neighbors on Saturday. Most of the ingredients in the book's recipes are things that most folks would typically have on hand - I've yet to come across a recipe with ingredients I don't recognize or can't easily get my hands on.
The next book that has been inspiring me is part cookbook, part collection of essays:

Molly has a beautiful voice in her writing - I like to pick it up when I am having a small snack or meal by myself. Her stories are touching. It is difficult sometimes to not continue reading - I've read multiple chapters at times when my intention was to only read one. But as much as I can, I'm reading this book slowly so I can savor her stories and consider her recipes. Her book is unique, I can think of a few friends for whom it would make a fantastic gift. It was a good gift to myself afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails