06 January 2010

School Day

Yesterday I found myself back in a "brick and mortar" school classroom for the first time since last June when my former job ended. I spent the day substitute teaching for a middle school Social Studies teacher. I got the job at the very last second, probably because the teacher woke up ill, the call actually woke me from a dead sleep at about 6:30 am. It didn't help that the night before the husband and I had stayed up until about 12:30 am talking about all of life's rewards and challenges...luckily he got up with me and helped me gather a few things as I was rushing to get ready. I only had about 50 minutes to get dressed and get to the school on time.

So, I really didn't spend much time thinking about what the experience of being back in a classroom would be like for me until I was driving home at the end of the day. I realized that if I'd had more time to anticipate going back into a school I would have probably been more anxious. Schools always feel familiar to me, even if I've never been to a particular school before, it is a familiar environment. But since I went through so much with my last job ending and now teaching online, I wasn't sure if it would feel strange or sad or whatever to be in a classroom again. But I think stepping back into that world as a substitute was good for me, it's a pretty low commitment situation, typically one day and that's it. There's no extra work with grading, no follow up with struggling students. You get to show up, fill a role for a bit, and leave. You don't even have to go to faculty meetings or make yourself available before and after school for students that need help. I also realized that I don't miss school bells. So much of the day in a typical school is spent hurrying to get somewhere or finish something before a bell, or anticipating the bell that will tell you when the next thing happens. School bells do not leave much room for organic timing...I'm glad I no longer have to spend my days being managed by a bell. My day of subbing made me appreciate my current job even more. I love my freedom. I love it that I don't typically have to rush through my mornings. I love it that there is time for me to go grocery shopping if I so chose. I love it that I have been able to devote myself to some regular exercise and get back on a path to being in shape (Zumba classes as well as doing cardio on our home ellyptical have helped me lose a bit of weight in the last two months!) I am going to be continuing to substitute teach as jobs come up, and I'm not dreading it at all, I think it will be an interesting use of my time and the money will help us stay on target budget-wise. I also think that being in and out of classrooms as a substitute will be a great regular reminder to appreciate my online teaching job even more! And that, boys and girls, is a lesson I had to go to school to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails