02 January 2010

My New(ish) Jewelry Holder

I wanted to share about a project I completed yesterday, New Year's Day. It started with the purchase of one of those Sonicare toothbrushes...I decided to clean and reorganize the area around my bathroom sink to make room for my amazing new toothbrush. Sometimes it just takes a new purchase to make me want to organize other things...you know like a new pair of shoes makes me reorganize all of my current pairs, or a new CD makes me want to reorganize my whole collection. This time it was my jewelry. I have been frustrated for a long time about the organization of my jewelry, especially my necklaces. So I got the idea to make an organizer out of a frame and a piece of burlap (I have tons of it!)
So I got started on the project with a trip to a fantastic hardware store in Bellingham.This hardware store is a fantastic place. It isn't one of those big chains, it's the real deal, old school. It is two stories packed with narrow aisles that go to the ceiling, all filled with every kind of imaginable tool, hardware, and gadget you could think of. It is a huge place, easy to get lost in.
I picked up S-hooks, figuring they would fit nicely into the loose weave of the burlap and allow a way to hang up individual necklaces, bracelets, and rings.
See what I mean...this hardware store is packed floor to ceiling and then some!
The next step in this project was to find a frame. I found a couple right away at a well known thriftstore chain, but I couldn't believe that they were priced for $10. I couldn't justify buying a used frame from a thrift store for that much. Then I stumbled upon the frame above at a smaller thriftstore for only $1, much better. It didn't have any kind of backing, but that was fine since I wanted an open back anyway.
The next two steps were to paint the frame and then hot glue a piece cut-to-fit of burlap to the inside of the frame. The painting was done over a couple of days. I used an oil based spray paint.

Then with the husband's help I hung it in our master bathroom above my hand-towl bar. The last step was the most fun, finally getting to see my jewelry hung nicely. I'd like to think that now that I have everything organized and at easy reach, I'll now be more likely to wear my jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails