05 January 2010
Resolution: Cloth Napkins
I've mentioned one of my New Year's resolutions a couple of times recently...so here it is. I'm going to make this the year that we stop using paper napkins and switch instead exclusively to cloth. My goal with this resolution is to try to consume just a little less, kind of a small gesture to the environment.
Last week I specifically purchased a few different fabrics with this project in mind. The first one I cut into was this adorable navy print with white bicycles. I used a cloth napkin I bought a few years ago at Crate and Barrel as a pattern. It measured a little over 18 inches square. I cut my squares to have 20" side lengths, then folded the edges over twice and sewed them. Their size when finished was about 18.5" on each side.
Although I cut four napkins, I have only finished two so far. To keep from getting sick of my resolution too quickly I decided that I'm going to work on my new napkins a bit at a time. There will be time to make many more, in all different fabrics. My idea is to have different sets that I can switch out based on the month or season, I think that will make it more fun for me.
We regularly have undersized loads of kitchen towels going through our washer and dryer, so washing these napkins will just mean making those loads a bit more full, really using hardly any more energy than we are already using. The best part about this project is knowing that we will be wasting just a little less.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment