...unless you want an omlette for dinner! That's right folks, the waiting is over! Last night I received my first bundle of joy. The husband and I had gone out for a little pre-dinner stroll around our property. We heard some loud chicken squacking out in the garden and went to check it out. I think it was Berkeley having his way with one of the ladies, but I am not completely sure. While out there I checked the nesting boxes as has become my habit to see if there were any deliveries...I honestly didn't expect to see anything. I have never been more happy to not have my expectations met! This is what I saw...
I literally jumped for joy and whooped my heart out! The husband and Bambino were with me when I made this fantastic discovery...Bam jumped around with me, always one to enjoy joining in on someone else's happiness, and the husband grinned, gave me a high five and congratulated me on my chickens not being duds. I have checked those nesting boxes so many times without any success, I guess I was beginning to believe that I'd never see an egg. Well, I can proudly say that I have at least one chicken that is neither a dud when it comes to laying nor a rooster that stayed in disguise for nearly 5 months. Actually shortly after I discovered the egg, after I'd snapped a few pictures, and after I'd calmed down a bit, Berkeley started crowing...I think he wants to remind us that his presence there will help to keep those eggs a'comin'. This first egg is a pastel green, a beautiful shade if I do say so...this picture was taken outside at dusk, so it really doesn't do the color of the egg justice.
Below is a picture of our egg-cellent little treasure next to a store-bought egg. Our egg is much cuter and prettier don't you think? I am told that in about two weeks or so the eggs will be a more normal size, these first ones are going to be little.
I literally jumped for joy and whooped my heart out! The husband and Bambino were with me when I made this fantastic discovery...Bam jumped around with me, always one to enjoy joining in on someone else's happiness, and the husband grinned, gave me a high five and congratulated me on my chickens not being duds. I have checked those nesting boxes so many times without any success, I guess I was beginning to believe that I'd never see an egg. Well, I can proudly say that I have at least one chicken that is neither a dud when it comes to laying nor a rooster that stayed in disguise for nearly 5 months. Actually shortly after I discovered the egg, after I'd snapped a few pictures, and after I'd calmed down a bit, Berkeley started crowing...I think he wants to remind us that his presence there will help to keep those eggs a'comin'. This first egg is a pastel green, a beautiful shade if I do say so...this picture was taken outside at dusk, so it really doesn't do the color of the egg justice.
Below is a picture of our egg-cellent little treasure next to a store-bought egg. Our egg is much cuter and prettier don't you think? I am told that in about two weeks or so the eggs will be a more normal size, these first ones are going to be little.
What a fantastic end to my waiting and beginning to my days of collecting eggs! I honestly couldn't be prouder if I'd laid the egg myself! Actually, if I'd laid the egg myself I probably wouldn't be this proud. I'm just sayin'!
On that note I'm proud to announce that the winner of the contest is none other than my lovely friend, Tami...her guess of September 8th and blue was in fact the closest guess. It will be my pleasure to award the prize to you, Tami!




Congratulations! My friend got her first egg just the other day too. We had been over the day before and my 7yo was petting her chickens, and the next morning, voila, first egg! I've been calling him the Chicken Whisperer, LOL. (Love that chicken pillow.)
ReplyDelete