29 August 2009

Finishing Up

This post is going to be full of promises of future posts, kind of the nature of what is going on in my life...so much keeping me busy that I have to tackle one thing at a time or else end up too overwhelmed to do anything. Sooo, the picture above is representative of two things...one, it is the top surface of my new desk. It is finished up as far as the husband's building it...but it still needs drawer pulls. The drawers are built flush with the fram of the desk, a beautiful, very clean looking effect, but inorder to be able to open the drawers and properly use the desk, I need drawer pulls. The plan is to make it down to one of my favorite stores ever, Anthropologie, to see if they've got what I want. Really, any excuse to go to that store is fine by me, the closest one is down in Seattle (there are two stores there actually), which is about a 45 min to 1 hour drive on a no-traffic Sunday...perfect! The flower in the milk bottle vase is kind of part of a new promise to myself. I've been trying to keep fresh flowers on my bedstand, sometimes just a single stem, and I'd like to do the same on my new desk in my new home office. Recently I've been bringing in sunflowers and dahlias, since that's what is in bloom in my garden. As the fall and winter approach I may have to become a little more creative about where I get my flowers, I may even have to (dread) buy them. So, that is my goal...so simple, but it makes me happy!

So far the first half of today has been a time to finish up a few projects. I begin training for my new job on Monday - this will be the first time that I've started a new job while staying at home. I think the idea of working from home is still very odd to me, I guess it hasn't sunk in completely. If I were to talk with a friend who works from home about their job, I'd still experience a little bit of longing, wishing that I could have their situation...I guess it hasn't hit me that I do have that situation. Again, it's still kind of odd to me.
But, I have felt a little anxious about finishing up some projects that have been put off to the side for the past few weeks. One of those is the quilt for a friend's baby that I showed a little sneak preview of the other day. The other project is two nursing covers ie- "Hooter Hiders" or "Bebe au Laits". I am making them for the same gal that I made a Happy Birthday banner for not too long ago. She's an amazing mother of 5 with her 6th on the way. I admire her not just for enormity of her task, 6 children is alot! But, I also admire her because she's been able to trust me, someone who has never made a nursing cover before, to give it my best try. In general, I appreciate that she wants to support someone in her community, it helps of course that it's me, but even if I remove myself from the equation, I still admire someone who is willing to take a different route from typical retail purchasing. I will post some pictures of the covers sometime in the next few days. I am also excited to share some pictures of the baby quilt I made, it turned out very sweet, I'm proud of my work, and I learned a ton from making it.
Actually, the quilt experience made me feel a bit braver about the idea of attempting the king sized quilt for our bed that I've been kind of dreaming about for the past several months. I've been collecting fabrics here and there in shades of blue and green, all sorts of patterns. The fabrics have been purchased locally, but also on our trips to Brazil, NYC, and Hawaii. It is going to be a big project, so I'll probably wait until after I'm settled into my new routine to get started. But, doing a quilt that turned out nicely gave me the confidence to imagine being able to successfully make my dream quilt.
That's probably enough rambling for now, I've got things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails