15 February 2009

Returning to the garden

It's been a fabulous day. Actually it's been a fabulous weekend. We've had a wonderful amount of sunshine - something I envy living in the pacific northwest. Yesterday was my day to get ready slowly...I woke up pretty early and decided to make the husband some cinnamon rolls from scratch as a Valentine's Day suprise. It was a slow morning, I didn't get dressed until almost noon. After the offspring left for grandma's house in the afternoon, the husband and I went out to do a little shopping - I wanted to use a craft store coupon to get some stamping materials (I want to figure out how to make my own cloth labels for the little handstitched crafts I've been making and considering selling). We also decided that instead of going out to dinner and a movie we'd stay in, make a fabulous dinner (actually dinners, he wanted steak fajitas and I wanted fettucini alfredo with shrimp - we made both so we both were happy), and rent a movie off of the satellite. It was a quiet night, after a busy week and a fun but not so restful weekend last week, we both were in the mood to relax.

This morning was another relaxing morning...I can't seem to sleep in during the school year, my body gets stuck on a schedule, so I actually had time to get online and pay bills before getting ready for church. After church we went out to the island to pick the offspring up at the in-law's house. I also got to see the house that the husband is just about done building, my favorite part of the house is the bathroom that we tiled together, the shower looks very classy.

On to the point of this blog (I need to practice being a bit more brief). When we came home the sun was (mostly) shining and although it was a little chilly, it was nice outside. The husband spent some more time working on the raised beds that will be put in my vegetable garden - my Valentine's Day present.




I went out to the green house and did some straightening up. When it's time to start getting seeds going, it will be nice to focus on that without having a mess in the way. The greenhouse become a bit messy after I haphazardly threw in tools and such last fall. Also, one of the greenhouse roof panels needed to be resealed with silicon - it had come loose when there was a windstorm in December. When it came loose, there was snow on the ground and the temp outside was barely 20 F, so a quickfix with painters tape kept the panel in place until today.

After cleaning up some of the scrubbiness from last summer's sunflowers and sweet peas, I wandered a bit around the yard, the winter makes everything look very dead, but I like to look closely for little signs of spring. It is encouraging to see my little blooms pushing through. Last fall I spent an afternoon putting about 300 tulip and daffodil bulbs in the ground along our drive way and the flower beds in the front and side of the house. The tulips just starting to push through and the bunch of daffodils getting ready to bloom are from that bunch. Even with what I was able to do today, my spring gardening to-do list is growing faster than the plants themselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails