My sewing room is becoming more and more organized...I love organization. I'm not a neat freak by any means, I like things to be clean and tidy, but I don't go overboard getting there. I do however, love to have systems in place that keep me organized without tons of effort. So when I started going through all of the sewing materials I inherited when my Oma passed away, it became clear that I was going to need to find a way to organize all of it nicely. I am grateful to have the spools of thread and gadgets that used to belong to her. Many memories of her and of poking around in her sewing room when I was a little girl, came back when I was going through the stash...I want to treat those things respectfully. About a month ago I looked around online at several different thread storage systems. The problem was that anything that seemed like it could work for me was much more money than I wanted to spend. So...of course the gears in my brain were turning and I had to get the husband involved. He's quite handy - so it was a good move on my part. We went to Lowe's and picked up some boards and dowels and a couple of wrought iron hooks. He drilled holes in one board for pegs cut from the dowels - perfect thread spool storage. I picked up a can of spray paint for the boards on my way home from work last week and he sprayed both pieces for me. Last night he installed both pieces in my sewing area. Here is the before and after pictures - sorry about the photo quality, the light wasn't very good.

This makes me very happy!

I was in the mood to clean things up and organize, so I spent some time organizing my little fabric collection next...

When that was done I was in the mood to put my new and improve sewing area to use...I have also been wanting to practice "curved seams" a bit - I have a hard time with the coordination involved with turning fabric and keeping the edges lined up the right way while the machine is running. So I started with a sketch....It seemed curvy enough to be challenging, so I cut the fabric out, pinned and got started.I

I had quite a few "hiccups" as I put it together - this didn't suprise me. Here is my little elephant...I want to do a bit more with it, maybe put a little striped ear on him. He could also use a little more stuffing - I haven't sewn up his back leg completely yet, so I can still add a little more fluffy filling. He isn't perfect, but I'm happy with him - again, another learning experience.

I want to post some pictures of some of the onesies I've worked on before - my dear friend Amber specifically asked about seeing some, but I'll save that for another day, something to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment