23 February 2009

Onesies, Onesies, and Onesies

It is the middle of the day on Monday and I'm home...I went to work today and just a few minutes after I'd opened up my classroom a nasty wave of nautiousness went over me and I lost my breakfast. Fortunately a dear friend in the office was able to find me a sub within an hour...she's amazing, the school would never operate without her! So now I'm at home. If I don't move around much I feel fine, but movement is pretty hazardous right now, the vertigo is nasty! The pets are happy to have me here...Figaro was on my lap first thing for a cuddle nap - making it a little tough to type on the laptop. I thought I'd post a few (actually alot) of pictures of the onesies I've worked on over the past several months. Starting with the most recent ones, I kind of made up my own "applique" method. The owl was my first of the three, I like his bugged out eyes, I didn't plan for them to turn out off-center, but as I was working on it, I liked the way it made the owl look kind of nutty in a cute way. The little birdie and the hedgehog are also pretty cute......though I do think the legs on the birdie aren't quite right, maybe it's that the color wasn't dark enough? The other onesies I've "enhanced" were all free-hand drawing done with fabric pens. The ones that are pictured together have all been gifted to friend's babies already. The others are tucked away in my sewing room. This last fall I found myself feeling very itchy to do something creative. I've had babies on the mind since lately I've been around several friends who are either pregnant or trying to get pregnant. It's one of those seasons of life I suppose - like my early to mid-20's when it seemed as if everytime I turned around someone else was newly engaged and planning a wedding. Now it's babies. I don't feel the pressure in a major way, but it is always there in a subtle way. Even when I got sick earlier today, that was the first question a colleague asked me "Are you pregnant?" Not that it's an unfair question, I wasn't offended, it just reminded me again of the stage of life that my peers are in - even if I don't feel like I am. I think if I spent a Sunday morning volunteering in the nursery at church I'd fill my "baby cuddle quota" for at least a month. Actually, even just snuggling with Bambino or Figaro can do the trick these days. They think of me as being their mama. I guess they are my low-maintance furry babies. It's nice that the in-laws enjoy having them over (especially Bam, because that makes it easy for the husband and I to get away for the weekend. The next time they are scheduled to go over to "Grandma and Grandpa's" is for spring break when we go to Brazil. That trip is coming up very quickly, I'm getting more and more excited! I've actually been thinking quite a bit about what I'm going to pack to wear. That will have to be another post...So I'll finish with pictures of
the onesies that I've drawn on. At some point I'd like to take some of those designs and sew them onto onesies. The obvious question is: Why am I making all of these onesies if I don't have a kid to put in them? The answer to that of course goes back to all those babies that my friends are having and to the fact that I'm very seriously considering two things...First is having a booth at a farmer's market/craft fair this summer, and second is starting an Etsy store. I've bought a few things on Etsy recently and I love looking there to see what others are doing. So, hopefully soon I'll be able to say that I have my own side business selling things I sew, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails