22 February 2009

Busy like a bee...

This weekend has so far been fun, suprising, and busy! I started it Friday afternoon heading to a couple of thrift stores in search of material and other sewing goodies. I scored some vintage zippers - several still in their original packaging - a few of them sold way back when for 45 cents - that's exactly what I paid. I've been wanting to try making purses, pouches, bags, etc with zippers, now I have a nice little stash to get started with! I also picked up some very fun fabric, a pretty purple linen and a couple of funky vintage fabrics. A couple of the fabrics are peeking out in the background of the zipper picture. Friday night I cut fabric for my next project - owls! The fabrics I picked up were perfect...I cut out enough for 15 owls, they aren't all sewn up yet and I still need to pick up stuffing for them, but here's a little preview of a few of my little "hoots".
My other project this weekend was to try a new bread recipe - I found it online - it seemed easy enough and was...the bread turned out wonderful! Soft inside and a crunchy crust, yum!
I started the bread on Friday night, the dough sits out (covered) all night as the yeast reacts, it's supposed to sit for 12-18 hours.In the middle of the morning on Saturday I turned it a bit and then let it rise again for 2 hours. The dough then went into my cast iron dutch oven (which had been warming in a 450 F oven for 30 minutes). It baked for around 40 minutes (about 30 minutes with lid on and 7 without the lid). It was easy and fantastic! Just as it was coming out, the husband and his offspring were just coming inside for lunch - we hadn't planned it that way, it was just one of those incidents of good timing. They had been outside for a couple of hours burning brush - perfect day for it, no wind, no rain, ground still wet from recent rain. Bambino (our miniature Austrailian shepherd puppy) even got in on the fun, he loves running around outside when we're doing yardwork or any kind of outside project. The husband reported that Bam was trying to herd the tractor (from a safe distance), I guess the shepherd in him is bored.
When they came in they smelled the bread and we decided it would make a good lunch - with cheese for them and avocado for me (the California in me loves avocado with almost everything). I told you I was into color lately - things have been jumping out at me lately, the greens in this picture made me want to drool!
The final thing that's happened so far this weekend is a very big deal for me...the husband found out that Uncle Sam is being a bit nicer to us this year that he has been before (especially last year - he was just plain mean), and because of this, one of my wishes has been granted...I'll give you a little peek and explain more later (promise!)Until next time! -D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails