17 November 2009

This is the scene in front of the fireplace lately...with the cold wind and rain outside, it's all cozy time inside. I was blog hopping recently, and came across Jessica of Turkey Cookie, there was a post that particularly struck me. I'll let you go there yourself to read it...but I'll say that it has made me think. Since starting to blog I have found myself trying to intentionally find beauty, a good thing...but I have also found myself looking around with a critical eye thinking that what I was looking at may not be "pretty" enough for a blog post. The fact of the matter is that I sometimes live with piles on my floor or stacks of things I need to go through. It is not always tidy and picture pretty around here. The details of our lives sometimes resemble loose threads more than they resemble a tidy hem...I'm trying to be okay with that. When I first took this picture my thought was "How sweet Fig looks with his tail in a little curl lying in front of the fire", my second thought was "The dumbell weights that we keep by the ellyptical machine are on the floor and the AV chord is strung across the floor, those things aren't pretty". But the reality is that I live in a house where there are dumbell weights on the floor right now and an AV chord that needs to be tucked properly is still out in the open. There is beauty in that reality...maybe I've just been reading too many blogs that show what seem to be perfect houses that are lived in by perfectly neat and organized people. I like neat and organized, I really do, but I also like being able to enjoy life. I'm going to try hem things in on both sides, I can make an effort to be more organized and elliminate some of the messiness, and I can also decide to be okay with things not being perfect and still celebrate the beauty around me.

3 comments:

  1. There's a flickr group people started for this exact reason. I like going through it and looking at pictures of other people's dirty kitchens. Makes me feel better about my own.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/inreallife/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. You should see my 'confession' post about giving my kids cereal for dinner while entertaining them with pixar shorts on you tube on my macbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to check out that flikr group...I think a picture of a gal hanging out on a couch that's covered in a pile of laundry just might be my favorite. I've done that before...for every towel I fold I get to read another page. It's a nice little personal rewards system! Thanks for the honesty ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails