03 June 2009

Lemon Cake for Chickens and a Countdown!

So it feels as if summer is officially here. I'm trying not to get too set on the gorgeous weather, because "June Gloom" is a very real thing in Washington. It shows up in the form of cold and rain, as I found out last year! But everything in the garden is growing like crazy, including the chickens! Today I cleaned out our refrigerator a bit after a trip to the grocery store...out to the compost went some untouched leftovers, veggies gone bad, and half of a lemon cake. The husband and I had splurged on the cake about a week and a half ago at Trader Joe's. It was okay, but not as good as hoped. So today it went out with the rest of the cast offs from the 'fridge. I decided at the last second to give the cake to the chickens (actually I gave them a small piece at first, they went nuts so I gave them the rest). It turns out that they like lemon cake quite a bit, it was gone within an hour.
I am going to spend the upcoming weekend doing some sewing projects. Today I picked up a large load of jute coffee bags from a local coffee roaster. It really was quite a few bags - they filled a large trash bag. So combined with the bags I had before I now have enough to literally start making jute bag crafts like crazy...and that is the plan. The lady who helped me load up the bags at the coffee roaster asked what I was going to use them for. She suggested I bring in a couple of samples when I've got them to see if the manager would want to sell some of the products in the store. Kind of cool, I am going to do exactly that.
I also came up with some more ideas for onesie appliques...the picture below shows what I've been doing so far (the guitar applique isn't shown). Now I want to add a sea turtle, an angel fish, and an octupus to the mix - also things I am planning on working on this weekend.
I only have 10 more days until I am done completely at my job...I have been doing the job hunting routine a bit recently. Hopefully that will turn into something sooner rather than later. The stress of the unknown financially has been tough on both the husband and myself. Being freed of the obligation to show up at a job that is just simply hard for me will be nice. I know I can get through the final 10 days of work. In exactly two weeks I will be done, done, done. The count down is on (actually it has been on for a while now!)

2 comments:

  1. Are you getting rain now? I live in Washington as well and we have had nothing but sun sun and more sun for the last week. I love cloudy/rainy weather so this is really bumming me out! Gotta keep all the fans on, all the time to make sure we stay cool enough.

    Good luck with the job search as well. I know how hard those can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your well-wishes about the job situation, I need it! No rain yet, I've heard sometime in the next couple of days we're supposed to get a little drizzle - this all seems odd for Washington! I've only been here a couple of years, but I always remember June being on the cold and rainy side...odd weather in general this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails