
I have learned so much in the last year or so as I've taken on the challenge of being a new gardener. One of my favorite new pieces of knowledge is that cilantro and corriander come from the same plant. Cilantro is the leaves of the plant, corriander is the seeds that develop when the plant flowers. I have at least five cilantro plants in my herb garden this year, there is one that I am specifically allowing to flower so that I can have fresh corriander. It is impossible to find fresh corriander anywhere as far as I know. So I take great pride in the fact that I am growing something that it would be impossible for me to get another way. That is part of the magic of having your own garden, you end up learning so much and you have access to a whole new world of food you'd never get otherwise. In the next few weeks I am going to try to find a few recipes that specifically call for corriander, just so I can feature it in my cooking...anyone have any ideas?




Indian food! My in-laws use it all the time. In Tamil (their language), coriander and cilantro are the same word -- they just toss both in everything. Coriander and black pepper, both whole (unground), also go into their masala tea (what stores here call "chai").
ReplyDelete