The mint in the herb bed of my garden is doing very well. I've read in a few places that if not watched carefully, mint can easily take over. I like mint, it's delicious, but I also like the other herbs too, so I've been trying to keep up with it's growth by using it in mojitos. I browsed a bit on the internet for mojito recipes, but so far I haven't found anything amazing. I've been using San Pellgrino, Bacardi Coconut Rum, fresh squeezed lime juice, cane sugar, strawberries and the mint of course. It's not that the mojitos I'm making aren't good, they just are not fabulous. The best mojito I've ever had was at The Lush Lounge in San Francisco a few years ago. I have a tendency to obsess over any meal or drink I've really liked but can't easily get...Please comment if you have any suggestions to for my dilema!07 June 2009
Wanted: A Good Mojito
The mint in the herb bed of my garden is doing very well. I've read in a few places that if not watched carefully, mint can easily take over. I like mint, it's delicious, but I also like the other herbs too, so I've been trying to keep up with it's growth by using it in mojitos. I browsed a bit on the internet for mojito recipes, but so far I haven't found anything amazing. I've been using San Pellgrino, Bacardi Coconut Rum, fresh squeezed lime juice, cane sugar, strawberries and the mint of course. It's not that the mojitos I'm making aren't good, they just are not fabulous. The best mojito I've ever had was at The Lush Lounge in San Francisco a few years ago. I have a tendency to obsess over any meal or drink I've really liked but can't easily get...Please comment if you have any suggestions to for my dilema!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Recommendation from Sean Moss:
ReplyDeleteFrom: Epicurious | May 2008
by Eben Freeman, of Tailor Restaurant in New York City
Ingredients
tablespoons (1 ounce) fresh lime juice
2 heaping teaspoons superfine sugar
1 cup crushed ice
12 fresh mint leaves, plus 5 small sprigs for garnish
1/4 cup (2 ounces) white rum
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) club soda
Preparation
In 10-ounce glass (such as Collins or highball), stir together lime juice and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add 1/4 cup crushed ice. Rub mint leaves over rim of glass, then tear leaves in half and add to glass. Gently stir for 15 seconds, then add rum, remaining crushed ice, and club soda. Gently stir for 5 seconds, then tuck mint sprigs into top of glass and insert tall straw.
Also recommended by Sean: Habana Club Rum (have to go to Cuba to get it!)
Last year I bought mojito mint plants from the local nursery. At first I was skeptical that these were the real plants from Cuba. After trying them in a mojito I'm convinced they are the real deal. Peppermint is good too, but the mojito mint just has a richer taste. If you can get your hands on one you won't regret it.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was such a thing as mojito mints - I am going to be on the look out now! Great tip!
ReplyDelete