15 June 2009

Celebrating 31 Years...Over a Couple of Days

My birthday celebrations began four days early with a small family dinner party thrown by the husband. He made dinner, tri-tip and potatoes cooked all day in the slow cooker. My mother-in-law brought a macaroni salad and a delicious fruit salad. We also had my favorite bread, a sourdough baguette.One of our family traditions is to use this plate for each person's birthday or special occasion. I painted it the summer before we got engaged at one of those pottery painting shops.
The husband asked what kind of cake I wanted...for the last two years it's been Black Forrest Cherry cake for me. It makes me think of my Oma. She passed away in November of 2001. She was the classic Oma, made all the yummy German treats as I was growing up. She brought over this kind of cake for my birthdays when I was a little girl. I've always loved the combination of chocolate cake with cherries since.The husband hand washed the "Special Day" plate between dinner and dessert - nice touch!
On my actual birthday I woke up earlier than the husband so I decided to start cooking breakfast. When he woke up he helped me finish up. The strawberries that went on our waffles came out of our garden...the husband picked about a pint of them the night before.
Later in the day I got to go shopping...it's been a LONG time since I've bought clothes and shoes...long for me this time was about 10 months. I've picked up the random shirt, pair of underwear or other piece from time to time, but I haven't gone out and splurged on several things at the same time. It's been good to take a break, I think I appreciated today even more. Besides, it was a good day, I found some fabulous items.

My new shoes
One pink flowy tube top, three cami's in pink, black and salmon, jean capris, white clamdiggers, and three pairs of peds...all good summer staples.

What a fun birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Can I say that I LOVE that you take pictures of your table? Set with the food, flowers everything! My grandma used to do that before Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I think it is one of those things I'd like to do, too. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails