I've been struggling to find time for reading lately, but our trip to Hawaii made it possible for me to start and finishe two books...the one below on the flight over with a bit left over for some reading on the lanai. It is the story of a couple that is living in NYC in a neighborhood near Ground Zero on 9/11. The story follows them through two days as they experience and react to horror. Their marital, financial and parenting struggles are all put into perspective. It was a moving story, more emotional for me than I would have predicted it would be...but, this book won't be a keeper for me...more about that after a little bit about the other book I read on vacation.
The second book I read was a non-fiction story...I wasn't sure what to expect and I mistakenly expected that I wouldn't like the book...the reason that I didn't pick it as my first read. Well, I thought it was an interesting, well written, unique and fascinating story. From one of the two main characters, I learned a ton about the connection between slavery in the South and 20th century share-cropping, and gained insight about homelessness and injustice. From the other main character, I heard a true story about commitment and love between two people who had been married for 30 years, this character also wrote honestly about his aversion to the homeless community and the humility he felt when he realized how his pride had blinded him. This book is a keeper, it will be finding a permanent spot on my shelf...
I have an unofficial policy where when I finish any book I decide right away whether I'd read it again or not and/or whether I liked it enough to lend it to a friend. I've been a member of paperbackswap for almost three years. I decided to join after I moved in with the husband and opened several boxes of books that I'd been moving/storing through several apartments and houses throughout my 20's. I'd outgrown many of the books, several more had been required reading in college courses, and some were about subjects that I was no longer interested in. Initially I decided to post 70-something books from my collection onto paperbackswap. I now have just 15 books posted. Since joining I have mailed 122 books to other members and I have received 123. Only once in 122 exchanges did I receive a book that I had not requested instead of the book I was expecting. Strange story actually, the book I received was about Alzheimers and it smelled of smoke and was filthy with pet hair...when I contacted the person who'd sent it, the message I received in return made it clear that they were the unfortunate individual for whom the Alzheimers research had been done. It really was a fluke incident, the other 122 books I have received have been in excellent condition - I have not been disappointed. Most books cost around $2-3 to send (media rate), so it has been a very affordable way for me to keep up my book habit. The post office that we use has just one employee, she knows me well - we like to chat about what we've been reading lately. I used to spend anywhere between $25 and $100 a month on books, but not anymore! I can count on one hand the number of books I've purchased at bookstores in the past few years. In my account set-up I have refused to receive books that have been in a smoking environment, so occasionally I have to wait a bit longer than my "turn" on a waiting list for a particular book. It doesn't bother me anymore to wait to receive a book I want, the patience is good for me, and really, if I desperately want a particular book, I can always go to a book store or to Amazon for it. This typically doesn't happen, all I have to do is take a look at the stack of books on my bed-side stand that are waiting to be read to convince myself that I already have enough reading material. Now I just need another vacation so I can get to a few more of the books in that stack!
The second book I read was a non-fiction story...I wasn't sure what to expect and I mistakenly expected that I wouldn't like the book...the reason that I didn't pick it as my first read. Well, I thought it was an interesting, well written, unique and fascinating story. From one of the two main characters, I learned a ton about the connection between slavery in the South and 20th century share-cropping, and gained insight about homelessness and injustice. From the other main character, I heard a true story about commitment and love between two people who had been married for 30 years, this character also wrote honestly about his aversion to the homeless community and the humility he felt when he realized how his pride had blinded him. This book is a keeper, it will be finding a permanent spot on my shelf...
I have an unofficial policy where when I finish any book I decide right away whether I'd read it again or not and/or whether I liked it enough to lend it to a friend. I've been a member of paperbackswap for almost three years. I decided to join after I moved in with the husband and opened several boxes of books that I'd been moving/storing through several apartments and houses throughout my 20's. I'd outgrown many of the books, several more had been required reading in college courses, and some were about subjects that I was no longer interested in. Initially I decided to post 70-something books from my collection onto paperbackswap. I now have just 15 books posted. Since joining I have mailed 122 books to other members and I have received 123. Only once in 122 exchanges did I receive a book that I had not requested instead of the book I was expecting. Strange story actually, the book I received was about Alzheimers and it smelled of smoke and was filthy with pet hair...when I contacted the person who'd sent it, the message I received in return made it clear that they were the unfortunate individual for whom the Alzheimers research had been done. It really was a fluke incident, the other 122 books I have received have been in excellent condition - I have not been disappointed. Most books cost around $2-3 to send (media rate), so it has been a very affordable way for me to keep up my book habit. The post office that we use has just one employee, she knows me well - we like to chat about what we've been reading lately. I used to spend anywhere between $25 and $100 a month on books, but not anymore! I can count on one hand the number of books I've purchased at bookstores in the past few years. In my account set-up I have refused to receive books that have been in a smoking environment, so occasionally I have to wait a bit longer than my "turn" on a waiting list for a particular book. It doesn't bother me anymore to wait to receive a book I want, the patience is good for me, and really, if I desperately want a particular book, I can always go to a book store or to Amazon for it. This typically doesn't happen, all I have to do is take a look at the stack of books on my bed-side stand that are waiting to be read to convince myself that I already have enough reading material. Now I just need another vacation so I can get to a few more of the books in that stack!




No comments:
Post a Comment