28 March 2010

It's Been A While...

...since I've been around here. I guess I needed a bit of a break. Between work, trips, chores around the house and in the garden, and general busyness, time has been short lately. So while I've been quiet in this space, life has been anything but quiet lately. I am excited to have a few things to share in the next couple of weeks. Today I thought I'd finally introduce "The Pod", the name I have given to my new Solar Green greenhouse. The day it was delivered the husband and I shoveled a yard and a half of pea gravel into the Pod and then moved in the four benches that came with it. Since then I have been busy sealing the wood benches with water sealant and buying plastic trays in which to place the six and nine pack plastic starting containers. I wasn't going to go through the trouble initially (lazy!), but I decided it was worth it. So in between the trips we've been on, I've been trying to get those little chores squared away. Soon I will be starting tomatoes, pumpkins, eggplant, broccoli, summer squash, basil, and probably a few other goodies in my new workspace. Around the time that the Pod was delivered, the decision was also made to move my pathetic little vineyard from the field that the back of our house looks out at, over to our fenced in garden. In addition to the eleven grape vines I moved over, 11 more were planted. They were given to us by a friend of the husband's. I'm hoping that the new location will give my vines a better shot, they did not do too well in their last location with hardly any growth. It was important for me to get them moved soon because they weren't going to be in their dormant stage much longer. I am proud that my new strawberry shoots are taking very well. This summer should be full of delicious strawberries from our garden. The radish seeds I put in the ground have germinated and are growing nicely - I should have home-grown radishes in just a couple of weeks! This will be the first of many rounds of radishes this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails