04 March 2010

Alternative Energy

I went to the Seattle Home show recently...mostly because the husband and I were interested to see the exhibits. An unexpected (to me) part of the show was being able to see the vendors who had green/alternative energy and recycled products. There were of course lots of solar panel products, geo-thermal heating units, high-efficiency-organic insulation, roofs made out of all sort of recycled materials - plastics, tires, metals, but probably the most interesting to me were the wind energy turbines. I may have never shared in this space that I studied mechanical engineering as an undergrad. Several of the courses I took had an emphasis on alternative energy and efficiency. I am drawn to the idea of being "off the grid" (or at least partially so) on an intellectual and practical level...good thing is that the husband has similar feelings. Some day in the future, hopefully sooner rather than later, our home will be running on sustainable energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails