Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. It will be pretty low key here. I am thinking about making a batch of creme brulee, but other than that, there really isn't anything special planned. I think the husband and I are both on a mental count down for the trip we're taking to Hawaii, just the two of us. Oahu is where we were married, so whenever we spend time there, it is always special. But we are doing something new this time and spending the first part of our vacation on the island of Kuai. Neither on of us has been there before, so I'm excited to explore the island. I've been told it's the most beautiful and relaxing of the islands. Can't wait!
13 February 2010
A Few Items
Today I am [still] fighting that darn head cold. Yesterday I decided to proceed through the day as though I was completely healthy...I got lots done, but I think I'm paying for it today. The morning was spent cleaning out the chicken coop, and prepping the garden for the new raised beds with landscaping fabric.
It all still looks a bit rough, the raised beds need a bit more paint, then we will need to line the beds with another layer of fabric and fill them with a vegetable soil mix. This time of year tends to be a rough looking time for the garden anyways...it always looks so much better with blue skies and lots of plants growing.
After all of that, we will be bringing in gravel to fill the paths inbetween the raised beds. We are now up to a total of 14 raised beds - 4 from last year and 10 new beds this year. Of the new beds, 8 are 12 by 4 foot beds and 2 are 10 by 4 foot beds. I am going to use the two 10 foot beds to grow flowers.
I have always had a hard time cutting flowers out of my front and side yards to bring into the house. So I am going to specifically grow flowers that are meant to be cut and brought inside for the house. I picked up some bulbs and tubers at Costco specifically for this purpose - Ranuculus, Peonies, and Cala Lilies.
I'm sure I'll add more bulbs over time - tulips and daffodils. It's been kind of grey and rainy here lately, so the primroses planted to the front bed in the last couple of weeks are a welcome bit of color in the view from the front window.
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. It will be pretty low key here. I am thinking about making a batch of creme brulee, but other than that, there really isn't anything special planned. I think the husband and I are both on a mental count down for the trip we're taking to Hawaii, just the two of us. Oahu is where we were married, so whenever we spend time there, it is always special. But we are doing something new this time and spending the first part of our vacation on the island of Kuai. Neither on of us has been there before, so I'm excited to explore the island. I've been told it's the most beautiful and relaxing of the islands. Can't wait!
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. It will be pretty low key here. I am thinking about making a batch of creme brulee, but other than that, there really isn't anything special planned. I think the husband and I are both on a mental count down for the trip we're taking to Hawaii, just the two of us. Oahu is where we were married, so whenever we spend time there, it is always special. But we are doing something new this time and spending the first part of our vacation on the island of Kuai. Neither on of us has been there before, so I'm excited to explore the island. I've been told it's the most beautiful and relaxing of the islands. Can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




kuai is my favorite of the islands! it IS truly the most beautiful and relaxing of the islands. one thing they don't tell you is that there are wild chickens everywhere! (at least that was the case 12 years ago!!!) hopefully they are still there b/c they were fun to see! enjoy your trip!!!
ReplyDeleteoh - your garden is beautiful too! spring is right around the corner!