04 July 2009

Farmers Market on Independance Day

First of all, Happy 4th of July! I am resting at home after doing my 2nd farmers market today. This past week I found out that the town I live in, Stanwood, just started to do their own farmers market. While the one I participated in last week was okay, I really want to be a part of the market in my own town. It is brand new this year, today was the third week. There were about 10 vendors there, and the market is in a shopping center parking lot on a pretty busy road. The market is in Stanwood, but Camano Island residents drive through Stanwood to get on the island, so they are able to come to the market easily as well.
I had a good day, it was sunny and beautiful, I put up the sides on my tent to keep from getting too baked in the sun, last week I got a slight sunburn. I earned about twice what I earned last week, which is exciting! Another vendor that sells jewelry was saying that it seemed slow to her this week, so maybe next week will be even better. I acquired another table this week at Costco, so now I have the original two 4' tables and a new 6' table. I tried to keep a list of what I sold so I can have an idea of what is popular.
I did not have a ton of time this last week to sew, we were pretty busy with Amber and the kids. (I'll post more on that fun visit in the next day or two, we really had a blast!) But for the next two weeks I don't have much planned, so I'll be able to focus on getting stocked up on more things to sell. I've got more space to display now with the third table.
I also ordered business cards this past week. Several people last week had asked if I had one. This prompted me to set up an email specifically for business puposes: DeetlesBird@yahoo.com as well as finally opening up an Etsy store (though there is currently no products posted, I hope to change that this coming week): www.deetles.etsy.com For today I made up a quick card with my information, I was suprised at how many people took them, I printed up 3 sheets of 12 and probably had about half of them taken by the end of the day.
I have a mental list of things I want to make before my next market day...that mental list needs to make it onto paper in the next day so I have some specific goals for the week. Right now I'm just tired and need to take the night off. The husband came out to help me set up the tent this morning, then he had to leave for a post-hole digging job way out in the mountains, someone wanting to put in a horse pasture hired him. Lately he's been doing everything he can to keep things going financially for us. I can't imagine being with someone else right now, the stress we feel with the economy changing and my lack of a job is more than unusual. I feel lucky that it has brought us closer, I know that in many marriages that isn't always the case.

2 comments:

  1. your goods are great! Glad you did well - and have potential for more... :) wish there was a better farmer's market near us that had things. Not just fruit, etc. And I liked your pictures and CC's on fb - looks like you guys had a great time! The PNW is geourgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE your things! you are so crafty! :) much better seamstress than me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails