
It has been a couple of weekends since I've taken the time to write here. I think the realization that it had been so long came about because the rain made today too soggy to do much outside -though I did manage to weed one row in my little three row vineyard. I plan to mulch that freshly weeded row with newspaper, I don't have any saved organic material (grass clippings or leaves) on hand to weigh down the newspaper, so I'm going to wet it down with the hose and hope for the best. I also managed to do some potting, the picture above shows zinneas and pea vines together as a center piece for our outdoor table. The picture shows what a grey day it has been, no blue sky to be seen!
But, back to the topic I started at, blogging...subconciously I've missed the regular writing here, I've had a slight awareness of my routine not feeling quite complete. That's actually a funny thing since I've never considered myself to be anything close to a "writer". The fun I have been having in the garden has made up for it. It is my therapy to be out in the fresh air. A few of the things I've been doing outside lately...
*deciding where to plant all of the various seedlings I've been nurturing
*watering the plants in my greenhouse and keeping it well vented.
*collecting rocks from all over our property for the path border I've been working on
*building trellises out of bamboo for the cucumbers to climb up
*adding new layers of soil to the potato containers as the plants grow
*starting peonies, calla lillies, day lillies, clematis, and hosta in the greenhouse for some *landscaping that is going to happen later this summer
*figuring out my sprinkler/hose configuration for watering
*planning and preparing for a raised bed that will be below a bench on one side of the greenhouse - to be used for off-season growing - can't wait to have fresh veggies in December!
*weeding, weeding, and more weeding - the home-made weed spray I have been using has been working great
Even though it is all technically "work", I love my garden chores. If only someone would hire me to work in my own garden, the perfect job!




No comments:
Post a Comment