30 April 2009

Back to the grind today

I am sitting outside as I blog today - it is nice and I needed some fresh air after today.
I went back to work today - more and more people are hearing that they no longer have employment. I heard someone describe the situation spot on today and I haven't been able to let go of the description. It comes from the scene in the Tom Hanks movie "A League of Their Own" where the girls are in their locker room and someone comes in with a letter from the war department that will say that one of their husband's has been killed. That same sense of who is it going to be made the air thick with tension at work today. It is strange to see students react as they hear that their favorite teacher will not be around to see them graduate...I got lots of hugs. I actually did very well until the middle of the day. My superior came to talk to me...let's just say that I've decided to nick name him the "scab picker" - he had to come and hurt what was just in the beginning stage of healing...why are some people the way they are? I suppose even though the conversation brought tons of tears on my part, it was refreshing to have a tiny chance to speak freely - I don't have much to lose right now if you know what I mean. All along I have not felt "heard" - so I'm not going to try to convince myself that it was any different today, but at least it made me feel better. It was hard to recover from the tears in a matter of 12 minutes before I had to teach my next class. I found a colleague to talk to - and I was able to pull myself together (barely) in time.
I just need a little more space and time to have some perspective about all of this...it's been a rough couple of days! Deep breath!
Now for a nice change of subject - here are my two babies doing what they love most when we spent the day in the garden together. Bambino loves to chew on pieces of wood that he finds. I honestly don't know how he doesn't have tons of splinters in his mouth. It's a cheap "toy" though, and seeing as how we're making cut backs these days, I'm glad he finds pieces of wood in the yard to be fun toys. I guess if he does injest wood that it's a good source of dietary fiber?!

And here's my (not so) little Figaro - he has always preferred a warmer climate - he hates going outside on cold or rainy days and he absolutely detests snow. So a cozy nap in the greenhouse is his ideal way to spend an afternoon. I have to remember to leave the door cracked for him so he can leave when he wants to. I like having him there because it seems to keep other creatures out - I have never had an encounter with a field mouse in there and I want to keep it that way.By the way, the soda bottles and juice containers in the bottom of the picture are my mini green houses - I have been able to get my seeds to sprout very quickly using them as extra layer of insulation. I have to survive one more day before the weekend - then I plan to relax and unwind in a major way. The weather report says rain so that will make for perfect days to spend in my sewing room...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails