
In every spare moment for the last week or so, I've been out in the garden and greenhouse shoveling dirt, transferring strawberries, planting vegetable starts and starting seeds in the ground and in the greenhouse. Two days ago some potato starts went into hills - two varieties, red and russet. Four cucumber starts also went into a hill today.The seedlings in the greenhouse picture below are zucchini, lemon cucumbers, butternut squash and pumpkins.


The bed in the picture above has starts for two kinds of leaf lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach, and there are seeds for three varieties of carrots, head lettuce, and broccoli. In the picture below are about a hundred Walla-Walla onion starts - I spaced about half further apart so they'll mature to a full globe size - the other half above are spaced closer so I can pick them to use in salads. There is also one lone broccoli plant that randomly came with a set of herb starts I bought at a local nursery. The brown scrappy looking starts on the left are my asparagus plants - there are four or five of them. They will be placed permanently (they are a perrenial) at the top of this bed - hopefully soon!

I picked up some herb starts, I can't wait to start cooking with them! In the picture below from the top left are starts for cilantro, greek oregano, rosemary, parsley, majoram, and mint.

This is the same herb bed from al different angle...at the top of the picture are some garlic plants, at the bottom in the 2-liter bottle "hot-houses" are some basil seedlings.

I also picked up a roma tomato plant...I can practically taste the tomato sauces I'm going to make and can this summer and fall. My tomatoes are going to live in a plastic umbrella hot house...this will keep them warm and will also keep rainwater off of their leaves and therefore reduce the chance that they'll get fungus or disease. For my tomatoes I am going to use the
deep watering method described by Adriana of Anarchy in the Garden. I am also trying to start some tomatoes from seed - it may be a little while before they are in the ground.

The husband and I have been on a fruit salad kick lately...it started before we went to Brazil, then we went crazy while we were there and since then we've been trying to get as much fruit as possible. Kiwis have been one of our favorites in the salads...so much so that we decided we should take a shot at growing our own. It was suprising to find out that they grow here...they vine like grapes. So we are now the parents of two kiwi plants, a male and a female. You need one of each so that they can properly cross-pollinate.

Snow peas and beans are planted under the trellis - I have plans to put peas in another area as well, on a net that I picked up at a hardware store today.

Today it was gorgeous outside, other days it has been rainy...the greenhouse is a good place to hide out when it is wet and I still want to be outside. Everyday there is a little more progress, I'm really proud of how the garden is coming together.
No comments:
Post a Comment