Sew...I've been intending to do a sewing update post for a little while now...I've been working on several different projects, kind of letting my natural ADD guide me. When I'm bored with something I allow myself to move on and try another thing. The result is that I've had a few half-finished projects lying around the sewing room recently. I realize that leaving things unfinished isn't a good habit, but I'm okay with that because I also have a strong inclination (at times) to want to finish everything in front of me. It's all based on mood, one day it's start a bunch of stuff but don't finish, the next day it's finish everything up. It seems to be working for me so I'm not going to fight it. Below is an eye mask I worked on this last week...I like the random quilt stiching...I've worn this one for the last few nights...I have about 25 more cut out and ready to sew up when the right mood strikes me.
Here's a pillow that I sewed up last weekend. I'm not sure I love it, which is okay, I will stuff it and add it to the pile of things I want to sell this summer. Speaking of which, I am getting more excited about my business...the husband has helped me do a little research on where I could sell, and I'm getting closer to feeling ready to go for it on Etsy as well. I think that I'm allowing myself to be so "mood driven" because one of my fears about starting a business with my sewing is that I'd start to feel obligated to do it...so far it has been pure enjoyment and passion that has kept me trying to learn more and try more. I would hate for that to change at some point, I really don't ever want sewing to feel like work. I already have a full-time job, I don't need more work. A hobby that brings in a little money or at least pays for itself would be fabulous though.
Another pillow I had cut out a few weeks ago and sewed up yesterday. I like this one better, but it too will be (hopefully) sold. Once it is stuffed I think it would be cute on a chair in a little girl's room. The background fabric is upcycled thrift fabric, everything else has come from fat quarters I've picked up here and there. The two pink/brown fabrics are both Amy Butler.
Isn't this stitching fabulous...
The bag below was super easy to make using this tutorial that I found by linking through the "Fat Quarter Projects" on SewMamaSew's Blog. It is incredibly easy to make and was a great project to practice attaching a zipper...I was suprised how quickly I made it and I can't wait to make more. The best part is how little fabric it takes...I will use some interfacing and line the bag in the future, that will give it a little more structure and "class". I love that fabric though!
Here is another bigger version of the box bag, I am going to take this one with me when we go to Rio in a few weeks! Yay!
Speaking of Rio, the confidence I gained with those two little bags and some gorgeous fabric I picked up recently at this fabulous shop in Bellingham, made me want to make an oversized bag for the trip...The shop was the highlight of my week, it is so well stocked with so many gorgeous fabrics. I literally wanted to sing when I walked in there. I had to use TONS of restraint not to buy more than I did! But back to the bag, I was poking around more on the SewMamaSew blog and came across a link to this bag.
I love it so much I decided to make my own version of it...I started it last night and here's what I've got so far...I will definately post some pictures of the finished project!
Okay the final thing...the suprise I had a few weeks ago that I've been waiting to find time to share...I got a NEW SEWING MACHINE!!!
It's been fun to learn new things with it. I still love my mom's old SINGER...it's a great machine, but my new one is quite a bit easier to use. The speed control is the main difference, I am able to try more "new things" on the new machine because I can make the machine move slowly.
On the Singer I had a difficult time with speed, it felt like it was either stopped or moving full speed, the in-between was difficult to achieve.
Another thing I love about my new machine is all of the different options I have for stitches...the picture below has horrible focus, but those stitches are bicycles! So fun!
Here's a pillow that I sewed up last weekend. I'm not sure I love it, which is okay, I will stuff it and add it to the pile of things I want to sell this summer. Speaking of which, I am getting more excited about my business...the husband has helped me do a little research on where I could sell, and I'm getting closer to feeling ready to go for it on Etsy as well. I think that I'm allowing myself to be so "mood driven" because one of my fears about starting a business with my sewing is that I'd start to feel obligated to do it...so far it has been pure enjoyment and passion that has kept me trying to learn more and try more. I would hate for that to change at some point, I really don't ever want sewing to feel like work. I already have a full-time job, I don't need more work. A hobby that brings in a little money or at least pays for itself would be fabulous though.
Another pillow I had cut out a few weeks ago and sewed up yesterday. I like this one better, but it too will be (hopefully) sold. Once it is stuffed I think it would be cute on a chair in a little girl's room. The background fabric is upcycled thrift fabric, everything else has come from fat quarters I've picked up here and there. The two pink/brown fabrics are both Amy Butler.
Isn't this stitching fabulous...
The bag below was super easy to make using this tutorial that I found by linking through the "Fat Quarter Projects" on SewMamaSew's Blog. It is incredibly easy to make and was a great project to practice attaching a zipper...I was suprised how quickly I made it and I can't wait to make more. The best part is how little fabric it takes...I will use some interfacing and line the bag in the future, that will give it a little more structure and "class". I love that fabric though!
Here is another bigger version of the box bag, I am going to take this one with me when we go to Rio in a few weeks! Yay!
Speaking of Rio, the confidence I gained with those two little bags and some gorgeous fabric I picked up recently at this fabulous shop in Bellingham, made me want to make an oversized bag for the trip...The shop was the highlight of my week, it is so well stocked with so many gorgeous fabrics. I literally wanted to sing when I walked in there. I had to use TONS of restraint not to buy more than I did! But back to the bag, I was poking around more on the SewMamaSew blog and came across a link to this bag.
I love it so much I decided to make my own version of it...I started it last night and here's what I've got so far...I will definately post some pictures of the finished project!
Okay the final thing...the suprise I had a few weeks ago that I've been waiting to find time to share...I got a NEW SEWING MACHINE!!!
It's been fun to learn new things with it. I still love my mom's old SINGER...it's a great machine, but my new one is quite a bit easier to use. The speed control is the main difference, I am able to try more "new things" on the new machine because I can make the machine move slowly.
On the Singer I had a difficult time with speed, it felt like it was either stopped or moving full speed, the in-between was difficult to achieve.
Another thing I love about my new machine is all of the different options I have for stitches...the picture below has horrible focus, but those stitches are bicycles! So fun!
I think I've spent enough time blogging this morning...with it being Day Light Savings I feel like the day is getting away!




No comments:
Post a Comment