The next day I changed my strategy and used a hoe to loosen the weeds out of the soil. It was still hard work, but it seemed to go more quickly. While I worked I devised a plan to mulch the area so that the weeds wouldn't have a chance at returning. I checked around online to clarify the plan a bit and decided to try a newspaper mulch for my first layer.
Although we aren't a newspaper buying household, my in-laws are regular newspaper readers. My mother-in-law was kind enough to bring over her stacks of used papers. I also ended up using my own huge stash of paper grocery bags. The weather outside was perfect while I laid down the papers, constant light rain but no wind. I didn't have to hose down the papers at all because it ended up raining pretty much steadily for the next day.
The next step in my anti-weed campaign was straw. It's important to say that it was straw and not hay that went down because hay can re-seed itself (resulting in a crop of hay - not what I'm going for when the idea is to be weed/grass free), while straw is seed-free, so it will decompose without re-seeding. The husband was nice enough to pick up a bale of hay for me at the farm-supply while I was at work on Saturday, so it was ready and waiting for me to spread on Sunday morning. It was sunny and pleasant during the morning, which meant turning on the sprinkler to give the straw layer a nice soaking so it won't blow away [too much] if it gets windy.
I may add another layer later on this week. I'm thinking either wood chips or compost, we'll see. Hopefully all this work will pay off and my vines will be weed free for a long time. I certainly don't want to do the weeding work again anytime soon.
01 June 2010
Weeds Be Gone!
I had high hopes after I moved my grape vines from our field where they'd been planted for the past few years to their new spot in my garden. They hadn't shown much growth in their previous spot, probably because they lacked regular watering and nutrients in the soil. They've done much better already in their new location, they've received regular water (mostly because it's been so rainy, but I did set up my sprinklers so the vines would be watered at the same time as my raised beds).
But all that watering and rain combined with the bits of sun we've had has not only made my vines grow (better than I've ever seen them!), but weeds and grasses have also been growing in. Even a thorough spraying with the organic vinegar weed spray was only temporarily effective. It was pretty frustrating to think that after the work of transplanting the vines, they could end up being choked out again by grass and weeds. Sooooo, I got to work and started weeding. The picture below shows what my little vineyard looked like after the first day I spent weeding, it was raining and the work was pretty tiring - I initially hand picked every weed, so I only got through one row.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




If you use newspaper will the Chemicals in printing Ink not affect Soil Quality--As they are all inorganic
ReplyDelete